Many Ways to Support TBF!
December 1st, 2016
Members and friends of The Billfish Foundation have a long tradition of generous giving to support the many vital programs furthering the mission of conserving billfish worldwide. Since its founding in 1986, TBF’s achievements have been significant. Our success would not have been possible without the support of countless individuals and organizations. Please take a few moments to review the many ways you can give financially to TBF.
- Matching Programs – ask you employer. Many companies will match charitable contributions made by their employees and their spouses. With a small effort, you might be able to double your gift!
- Memorial and Tribute Gifts – make a difference for billfish as you honor a special person or mark an important event. Or ask friends and family to make a gift in your honor instead of the birthday present you don’t need! TBF regularly receives gifts representing an expression of sympathy, or to celebrate a wedding, anniversary or birthday.
- Gift Memberships – a great way to introduce a fellow angler or family member to the importance of our conservation programs and the benefits of TBF membership.
- Monthly Giving – if you would like to support the operations of TBF with a monthly donation over and above your regular membership, we would be happy to establish a recurring monthly gift with your credit card. This can make giving to TBF both easy and affordable to your budget. A little bit each month can do so much to save billfish for future generations.
- Stocks and Bonds – your gift of appreciated securities is the opportunity to make a substantial gift while taking a charitable tax deduction and avoiding the capital gains on the amount of the appreciation. TBF has a special account to receive these gifts; check with us for wiring instructions.
- Trusts – there are many types of trusts that will allow you to set aside assets for TBF, either to receive the income from the assets now, or to receive the assets at a later time. TBF would be happy to work with you or your advisor to explain how a trust might meet your needs.
- Bequests – after providing for family and others, remembering TBF in your will is a wonderful way to show your support. A bequest can be a specific amount, a gift of certain securities or other assets, a percentage of your estate or the remainder of your estate after other gifts are fulfilled. TBF can offer language or would be happy to work with you and your advisors to meet your particular wishes. Make a gift that costs you nothing today but helps ensure the future of billfishing.
- Retirement Plan Gifts – naming TBF as a beneficiary of your 401(k) or other retirement account assets will allow the assets to come to TBF without incurring any estate taxes. If you include TBF as a beneficiary of retirement account assets, you only need to update your Designation of Beneficiary Form for your retirement account and there is no need to update your will. Check with your 401(k) or other retirement plan provider to be sure you have completed the proper forms.
- Life Insurance – as with retirement plan assets, your interest in a life insurance policy may be passed on to TBF by completing a Designation of Beneficiary Form. TBF would receive the assets directly and there is no effect on other assets passing through your estate. By discussing you plans in advance with TBF, we can make sure your gift is applied to the programs of most interest to you, or to our general operations if you so desire.
For any questions about membership, memorials, tributes or other current gifts, please contact Deborah_Cummings@billfish.org or call Deborah at 800-438-8247, x106. To discuss any other planned gifts, contact Robert_Jones@billfish.org or call Robert at 800-438-8247, x113.
Leave a comment using facebook